Have I ever told you that I can curl my hair while drinking a pina colada? Yep, add that to my list of special skills, along with driving a stick shift and being able to recite all 50 states in alphabetical order. "Wow, that's fascinating. If I'm ever stranded on a deserted island, I'll definitely want you there with me," said no one ever.
Back in March I did a series of Heidi braid tutorials, which you can find here, here, here, here and here, and although at the time I said that the Modern Heidi was my favorite (Modern Heidi, cover your ears), the truth is today's scarf-style Heidi is even better. (Okay, Modern Heidi, welcome back. We totally weren't talking about you while you were over there in the corner with your hands over your ears).
Here's the thing - I whipped up this headwrap before our trip to Virginia only to discover that the happy and accidental result was perfect, loose beach waves, which in retrospect shouldn't have been such a surprise given that I've been curling my hair with a pillowcase since I was six.
This little head wrap is darling as is, but if you want to reveal soft, beachy curls at the end of a few hours of wear, be sure your hair is 99.5% dry when you wrap it up. And just like with the pillowcase curls, if your hair doesn't hold curl well, then opt for hair that's totally dry (maybe even with a little styling product if you're really committed to the curls thing).
What You'll Do
1. Center your scarf and lay it over your shoulders. Part your hair somewhere down the middle-ish (or side part if that's how you always wear it) from your forehead to the nape of your neck as though you were going to make pigtails.
2. On one side, start wrapping your hair around your scarf, being sure to wrap away from your face.
3. Repeat on the other side until both "pigtails" are wrapped around your scarf.
5. Fan out the fabric on both sides so that it covers your wrapped hair.
6. Tie the two ends at the base of your neck, either leaving the two ends loose or tying them into a bow.
While you were doing your hair I ordered us pina coladas. Cheers! xo