|photo from here|
As an advocate for green makeup and skin care products, Katey is now the spokesperson for Burt's Bees and has been featured in Vogue, Glamour, InStyle and Nylon. If that's not enough, her workday involves some of the most talented women around - Lena Dunham, Mindy Kaling, Olivia Munn, Christy Turlington, Selena Gomez, Susan Sarandon and on and on.
Katey recently posted a guide to applying the perfect red lip color on her blog, The Beauty Of It Is, which I've put to the test and photographed step-by-step for you all just in time for holiday party selfies in front of my party fringe wall backdrop.
1. Exfoliate your lips, ideally post-shower using a toothbrush, soft washcloth or makeup wipe, going in gentle circles. To quote Katey, "never harder than you would scrub an overripe tomato".
2. Use a lip liner if your color tends to bleed or fade (essential for us lip lickers) or if you want a defined edge. Katey suggests Cherry or Brick by MAC. Ps - oh, hi, Manhattan.
3. Apply your lip color of choice (I love this one, which I'm wearing, and this one).
4. After applying your color, place a q-tip between your lips so that the end touches the front of your teeth and so that the q-tip is parallel to the floor. Pull the q-tip out so that any excess color ends up on the cotton swab and not on your teeth.
5. Pack a touch-up kit. I'm terrible at remembering to check my lip color (which usually is also a good indicator that I'm having fun), so I was delighted to hear that one of my favorite tricks is also a part of Katey's arsenal - packing and using a similar colored, or even clear, gloss for touch-ups.
Check out Katey's blog, The Beauty Of It Is, for some great tips and product recommendations.
What's your favorite lip color? What's your favorite red?